Lockdown Buffer: Lagos Govt Says It Will Feed 100,000 Youths Daily

Lagos state government says it has intensified palliative measures to ameliorate the negative and biting impact of the two weeks lockdown on residents of the state.

One of the concerns of observers and residents alike is the sustainability and compliance of people to the extension of the lockdown by President Muhammadu Buhari, with some saying residents of affected states might defy the order to get what to eat since the government has not done enough to provide the social intervention and Palliatives needed to ensure the sustainability of the two weeks extension.

 

The reservation of people was validated when pockets of violence and robbery attacks erupted in some parts of Lagos and Ogun States. This developments are seen by majority as the by-products of government failings and inability to adequately provide for people basic needs during the lockdown.

However, as part of its effort to forestall the occurrence of last week’s incident, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, during a media briefing in Tuesday, announced that the state will feed 100,000 youths daily to cushion the effects of the lockdown on residents.

He said the exercise tagged, “Daily Food Kitchen Programme” will help to reduce hunger among youths who are unable to work as a result of the lockdown.

 

Sanwo-Olu said the state government has commenced the process of identifying local vendors who will assist in cooking and serving the meals.

 

“This is to also announce to you today, additional palliatives to our citizens which we believe will further ameliorate the inconvenience occasioned by this extended lockdown,” he said.

 

“In the first instance, in the next couple of days, we will commence what we call a ‘daily food kitchen programme’ which will be an attempt where on a daily basis we will be feeding about 100,000 youths.

 

“This, we believe, will meet some of the immediate challenges that we have seen on our streets. We are currently identifying local food vendors who will carry on this programme and ensure that the process of cooking and serving of these meals adhere strictly to health guidelines.”

The governor also said he had an emergency meeting with the heads of security agencies to review strategies on enhancing peace and security in the state.

 

President Muhammadu Buhari had announced an extensionhad announced an extension of the lockdown in Lagos, Ogun, and the federal capital territory (FCT) by two weeks.

 

He said the two additional weeks is to ensure that the spread of coronavirus, which is now being transmitted within communities, is checked.

 

The president first ordered a two-week lockdown on March 30 to contain the spread of coronavirus in the country.

 

Nigeria has recorded a total of 373 cases of COVID-19, out of which 99 persons have recovered, but with 11 fatalities recorded.

 

Lagos alone has recorded more than half of the total number of COVID-19 cases across the country — with 214 cases.

About The Author

Related posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

loading...