Nigerian Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire on Friday disclosed that the second infected case of the Coronavirus disease in Nigeria has now tested negative.
Ehanire made the disclosure while giving situation report of the Coronavirus disease in Nigeria.
LagosTimes reports that the patient, an Ogun state contact of the index case, had been isolated after testing positive for the Coronavirus disease four days ago. The patient was one of the 40 staff of Lafarge Cement taken in immediately the index case was discovered.
On why no travel restriction had been placed in Nigeria, Osagie Ehanire said that every country takes the measures that suit its current realities, but Nigeria is still safe and would not need extreme measures at the moment.
“There’s already a lot of self-restriction going on. There is a reduction in passenger movement, even without banning anybody. In our case, we have looked at the economic impact of all of these, as other countries are doing before taking decisions.
“The Federal Government has set up a committee to monitor the impact, to determine the benefits, costs and losses. As far as we are concerned, the risks we have here are very low and we are monitoring it very closely,” he said.
He noted that the ministry was keeping close contact on all the stakeholders, experts and higher authorities to keep tab on the situation. He added that there would be no need to impose any restriction as the economy has already been affected by the outbreak, and any travel restriction would only serve to worsen the situation.
The minister reiterated the government commitment to Nigerians that the government had equipped 5 laboratories for this purpose, but only two had been used in conducting the 41 tests done so far.
“As far as the tests are concerned, we are ready, and we will increase it as the need demands,” he assured.
He noted that the genetic sequencing successfully carried out by the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research and other partner laboratories had formed the basis for ongoing research on the vaccine to neutralize the virus.
Ehanire stated further that the Sports Festival could still hold in Nigeria, as the entrants would be screened before entering the stadium. He, however, noted that it would be up to the relevant authorities to decide what to do if players and spectators were coming in from outside the country, but the Ministry of Health would be ready to offer the needed advice and support where needed.
He dismissed rumours of medical practitioners treating infected patients secretly, insisting that no medical practitioner would do that without putting himself at risk. According to him, most of the 41 tests tested so far were referrals from private hospitals.