FG Extends Gradual Ease Of Lockdown By Two Weeks
The Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 has announced the extension of the partially eased lockdown by two weeks across the nation.
The PTF Chairman and Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr Boss Mustapha, disclosed this on Monday during the daily briefing of the task force in Abuja.
Mustapha stated that the country was not yet ready for full opening of the economy despite the progress made so far.
“Tough decisions had to be taken for the good of the greater majority and any relaxation will only portend grave danger for our populace.
“Advisedly, the current phase of eased restriction will be maintained for another two weeks during which stricter enforcement and persuasion measures will be pursued.
“The two weeks extension of Phase One of the eased restriction is also to enable other segments of the economy to prepare adequately for compliance with the guidelines, preparatory to reopening in the coming weeks”, the SGF said.
Earlier on Monday, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina stated there would be no presidential broadcast on COVID-19 as against the announcement made on Sunday by the National Coordinator of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Aliyu Sani that President Muhammadu Buhari will address Nigerians on Monday 18th May, 2020.
Adesina said the Presidential Task Force would brief the nation on the next steps.